San Remo is the gateway to Phillip Island on the eastern entrance of Western Port and dates back to 1840. The township that grew up around the port of Griffiths Point became a popular tourist spot and in 1888 was renamed San Remo. Before the suspension bridge was built in 1940, visitors had to rely on ferries for access to Phillip Island.
Commercial fishing began in 1909 and continues toady with fresh and cooked fish available form the San Remo Fisherman's Co Op.
Childrens beach is a sheltered family beach, while Foots Beach has an excellent surf beach.
San Remo has a great shopping strip with many sidewalk cafes, antique shops and a supermarket. A chemist and medical centre are available 7 days a week.